The Application Procedure is as follows:
- Anyone interested in loaning a horse/pony must complete
the Application Form in full (word doc, 40kb) and return to
the address below.
- If the applicant is deemed suitable, we talk to the applicant
by phone to discuss a possible match with a horse/pony. If the
applicant is interested in a particular horse/pony, we arrange
a visit to the yard between Monday and Friday (not weekends) to
be introduced to the horse or pony.
- If the applicant is interested in homing an Ex-Racehorse/TB,
it will be necessary for the applicant to observe the horse ridden
and is then requested to ride the horse under supervision to access
suitability. (Disclaimer must be signed). Before leaving we advise
the applicant whether or not we are happy to proceed to the next
- We allow 24 hours for the applicant to think about the horse/pony
and whether they want to go ahead.
- If the applicant decides to proceed with the loan arrangement
we will contact the applicant's referees. If these are satisfactory
we will arrange a visit to the premises where the horse will be
kept. Please note that sufficient Grazing and Stabling/Shelter
is a requirement in all cases.
- If successful, the IHWT and the loaner sign a legally binding
contract, laying down the terms and conditions of the loan. This
is devised to safeguard all concerned, particularly the welfare
of the horse/pony. The horse/pony remains the property of IHWT.
- Once this is done and the appropriate contribution is paid,
the loaner is responsible for transport arrangements and for all
the costs of keeping the horse/pony thereafter. (In the event
of a horse/pony being returned by the loaner, the cost of transport
is the responsibility of the loaner).
- A copy file relating to the horse/pony is given by IHWT. We
request that all Veterinary and Farrier records are kept up to
date, incl. Vaccinations.
We want our horses and ponies to live out a happy and useful life,
which they deserve and are grateful to those people who are prepared
to help us to do that. For more information on how to loan an IHWT
horse or pony, please view our Loan
Homes Application (word doc, 40kb)