Horse theft is going on quietly but consistently around Ireland
and the ease of movement between Ireland and the UK adds to the
problem. IHWT gives help and support to owners of stolen horses
and have set up a Stolen Horse Register
Check gates and fencing/other means of escape. If you suspect that
your horse or pony has been stolen immediately contact
- IHWT at Tel: +353 (0) 404 45720
- Horse Pounds. The main Horse Pound is located in Urlingford
and can be contacted at Tel: +353 (0) 86 8560818
- Local Animal Welfare Organisations
- Ferry Ports (Dept of Agriculture Office).
Irish Horse Abattoir, Straffan, Co. Kildare: Tel: 01 62884918
B&S; Meats, Tel: 056 24268
Check with abattoirs in Northern Ireland.
Put up posters at local feed & tack suppliers and place an advert
in local media.
To help prevent theft of your horse or pony, try and ensure the
- Ensure premises and/or field is secure and gates are locked.
- Check animals at least twice daily at varied times.
- Microchip your horse or pony so that it can be positively identified.
- Padlock Ireland are now offering a service in freeze-branding
horses and ponies. For details contact (0509) 23939